The International Max Planck Research School Mathematics in the Sciences (IMPRS MiS), supported by the Research Academy Leipzig is a joint activity of three departments – Institute of Mathematics, Institute of Computer Science and Institute of Physics and Earth Science – of the University of Leipzig, and the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences.
Specific subject areas are:
- Applied Algebra, Algebraic Statistics, and Combinatorics
- Complex Systems in Economics, Evolutionary Processes, and Neurobiology
- Geometric and Functional Analytic Methods in Mathematical Physics
- Partial Differential Equations and Continuum Physics
- Quantum Field Theory, Particle Physics
- Riemannian, Algebraic, and Symplectic Geometry and Hamiltonian Systems
- Stochastic Processes, Many Particle Systems
Graduate Program Summary
- 3 year appointments
- Payment based on the Collective Wage Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD) corresponding to 50 percent of Pay Group 13.
- No tuition fees, no teaching duties
- Mentorship from world class faculty at MPI MIS and University of Leipzig
- Career enhancement workshops, advanced lecture courses
- Funding for travel and research
- German language courses are provided
- Special support for families and in solving child-care issues
The Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences (MPI MiS) invites applications for several
Postdoctoral Research Positions.
The MPI MiS is located in Leipzig, Germany and cooperates with Leipzig University. Research at the MPI MiS exploits the fruitful interaction between mathematics and the sciences. We not only apply existing mathematical methods and techniques to the sciences, but also transmit the conceptual and structural approach of mathematics into new areas of research, and, vice versa, translate scientific questions and problems into mathematical challenges.
This mission lives on an interdisciplinary approach to mathematical and scientific questions and we attack these questions by means of scientific exchange, collaboration, and cooperation with researchers from all over the world. We hire not only in the classical areas of mathematics like:
- Calculus of Variations
- Discrete Structures
- Mathematical Statistics
- Partial Differential Equations
but also in fields exploring the interaction of mathematics and the sciences like:
- Algebraic Statistics
- Combinatorics and Applied Algebraic Geometry
- Complexity and Cognition
- Computer Algebra
- Data Science / Mathematics of Data
- Discrete Random Geometry
- Fluid Dynamics
- Information Geometry
- Information Theory and Network Analysis
- Materials Science
- Mathematical Biology
- Mathematical Machine Learning / Theory of Deep Learning
- Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
- Stochastic Partial Differential Equations
Successful candidates should be willing to closely collaborate with at least one of the postdoctoral mentors of the institute.
- PostDoc position for 1-3 years
- No teaching duties, but the possibility to teach an advanced course in our international graduate school.
- We provide a scientific environment where you are encouraged to explore new scientific directions and where you will find many partners with whom you can discuss a wide range of scientific ideas.
- Deadline December 1 (starting date flexible)
- Please submit the following information:
- list of publications
- transcript of PhD certificate (If you did not receive your PhD certificate yet: Please upload a short statement about the current status of your PhD and a brief summary of what your thesis is about.)
- research statement also addressing research projects with names of possible collaborators at MPI MiS, and
- names and contact data of two or more referees willing to write a letter of recommendation.
- Submissions of applications proceed through an electronic form. This form will be hosted by Opencampus.net, a German company, so while clicking to the links you will be directed to their server:
- During the application process you will be asked for which kind of position you apply. Please choose “Postdoc call 2019“.
Usually, applications are only reviewed right after the deadline, i.e. in December. In exceptional cases we might also consider applications in between. If there are reasons why your application should be reviewed earlier please upload your application and afterwards inform us briefly about these reasons via mail to application(at)mis.mpg.de.
The institute encourages applications from women and minorities.